Who can remember the Liberty Nursing Home on Elm Street? Liberty Nursing Home was located at what was then #39 Elm street. Though the building itself is no longer there, it stood just to the West of today's Smith & Heald Funeral Home. Today the location is the East wing of The Elm's nursing home.
In the Summer of 1947, Edgar and Marie Liberty owned the house next door (then #41 Elm Street and today the main building of The Elms nursing). They purchased the home just to their East (#39 Elm). They fixed the place up and converted it into apartments. It was called “Liberty Apartments”. In 1953, the Liberty’s sold their home at #41 Elm street, packed up their family and moved to Florida. Before their move to Florida, Marie Liberty actually owned and operated the “Milford Rest Home” for a period of time at her home at #41. When the Libertys moved back to Milford about a year later in 1954, Marie made plans for the “Liberty Nursing Home” at #39 Elm.